Dr. Jim Cooling
BSc PhD MIEEE
(formerly CEng, FIEE)
Real-time Design, Embedded Systems
Partner, Lindentree Associates.
12 years service with the Royal Air Force; Systems Designer, flight control,
with British Aircraft Corporation; Electronic Circuit and Systems Designer,
later Project Manager, Naval Electronic Control Systems, Marconi Radar
Systems Ltd.; Research Fellow, Loughborough University; Lecturer, then
Senior Lecturer, Loughborough University; Consultant and partner, Lindentree
Research and Design Experience
- Flight control system design
- Electronic system design (analogue, digital and processor-based),
including high temperature electronic systems.
- Analogue and digital control systems - conventional and adaptive
control techniques - for servo and process control applications.
- Local Area Networks for real-time vehicle applications.
- Operating systems and scheduling policies for real-time embedded
systems including the development of hardware scheduling coprocessors.
- Software design methods/methodologies for real-time systems.
- Safety critical software systems.
- Animation techniques, prototyping and formal specifications
for real-time embedded systems.
- Programming languages: CORAL66, PL/M-51, PL/M-80, BASIC,
PASCAL, Modula-2, Ada 83, Ada 95, C, C++, Java and
Marconi Command and Control Systems, Leicester; Tesel Services Ltd.,
Basingstoke; Loughborough Consultants Ltd.; Institute for Consumer
Ergonomics, Loughborough University; Jaguar Cars Ltd., Coventry; Negretti
Aviation Ltd., Southampton; Future Computers Ltd., Croydon; JBM Microsystems
Ltd. Ashby de la Zouch; Rolls Royce and Associates, Derby; Transmitton
Ltd., Ashby de la Zouch; Dowty Maritime Systems Ltd., Feltham; Learning
Tree International, UK; Rational Software Corp., UK; Artisan Software
Tools Ltd., Cheltenham; Robinson Associates, Painswick, UK; Sterling
Software Ltd., Chertsey; Electronic Arts, Vancouver, Canada, Mars Electronics
International, Wokingham; GKN Westland Helicopters Ltd., Yeovil; West
Instruments Ltd., Brighton.
- Chairman, MISRA UML Working Group 2006-2008
- Member, Technical Advisory Panel, IEE Microelectronics and Embedded
Systems Professional Network.
- Editorial board member for the journal 'Microprocessors and Microsystems'.
- European Editor for the journal 'Microprocessors and Microsystems',
- Member, IEE Professional Group A1, 1996-1999.
- Invited reviewer and assessor - Motor Industry Software Reliability Association Development Guidelines for Vehicle Based Software, 1994.
- Invited reviewer - BSI IST/15/-/202 Documents Information content for System Definition, 1994.
- Research advisor, Slovene Ministry of Science (1992).
- Invited guest lecturer, Centro Tecnico Aeroespacial, Sao Jose dos Campos, Brazil, 1994.
- Academic expertise
- Conference activities